Buying a concrete pump may seem easy, but choosing the right product for the needs of your project is a challenging task. So how can you look for a concrete pump that is right for you and will serve you in all your different projects?
To buy the right concrete pump, it is necessary to have a good knowledge of the following:
- What is a concrete pump?
- Different types of concrete pumps
- How it functions
- Cost of the concrete pump
- Various concrete pump manufacturers
What is a Concrete Pump and Why is it Important?
A concrete pump is a type of conveying equipment used for the continuous supply of concrete to heights and distances where a huge quantity of concrete is required and where other modes of transport are inconvenient. It generally employs horizontal or vertical pipelines to convey the liquid concrete. The concrete transported by pumps is also known as pumped concrete.
In modern construction projects, it is impossible to complete a construction project without a constant supply of concrete within a short period. They are faced with the challenge of manually handling large quantities of concrete.
The invention of different types of concrete pumps plays an important role in the construction sector by enabling a fast and continuous supply of liquid concrete to the required destination.
At times, this can be achieved only by pumping concrete through large pipelines over considerable distances. These are especially convenient for locations that are not easily accessible by other transportation modes.
Some factors to be considered before buying a concrete pump are –
- What is the purpose and how often will you use the concrete pump equipment?
- Should you invest in a new or a used concrete pump?
- What is the cost of maintaining the equipment?
- What is the cost of training the operator of the concrete pump?
- What is the future plan for using the equipment?
- What is the return on your investment?
When considering buying a concrete pump, pump operators and concrete pumping companies have to consider many aspects beyond just the financial aspect because choosing the right pump based on your requirement will help in the long run.
- Anticipated Workflow – Before investing in equipment, you must make an honest assessment of the upcoming workflow considering the previous workflows. There could be situations where you get a few good months but slack at times due to wet and cold weather.
- Work assurance – Consider the permanency of your work, how long it is going to last, competition, weather, and security of the work contract. Are you depending on just one or two clients?
- Pump maintenance – Consider the costs that would incur to maintain, repair, and regularly service the pump. The benefit of investing in a new pump is the warranty, guarantee, and replacement of parts included when buying.
- Operational costs – Once you acquire the pump, one major concern is the labor costs that come along with the operation of the pump, such as –
- Finding and retaining skilled operators
- Wages and salaries of operators
- Overtime expenses for long and hectic works
- Backup for labor when someone falls ill, etc.
How to Choose the Right Concrete Pump for Your Project?
When choosing a concrete pump for your construction project, it is important to consider these key factors:
- Size of the job –
For small and relatively simple jobs, a ground line pump may be a good option. However, you will still need to consider if the line pump will be able to reach all the sites where the concrete is needed, if the pour location is close to the pump, and if there are any obstacles.
However, for larger commercial construction projects requiring a high volume of concrete and accurate placement of concrete where there are obstacles, boom pumps are more suitable.
- Vehicular access –
Concrete pumps are convenient where concrete truck mixers cannot easily access the pour site. Some situations could be – unstable ground for vehicular movements, pour sites located behind buildings, raised levels, or tight spaces. Although both types of pumps can be used, a ground line pump could be more economic and simpler to use.
- Pouring site location –
A key determinant for the type of pump is the position of the pouring site. A boom pump could be a suitable option where the pouring site is difficult to access via ground level. The hydraulic arm of the boom pump enables the conveying of liquid concrete even across houses and bridges.
Types of Concrete Pumps
There are three main types of pumps, of which the first two are the most commonly used.
1. CONCRETE LINE PUMP (GROUND PUMP)
Ground pumps or Line pumps are used to pump concrete along the ground through steel pipes or hoses to the specific job location where trucks cannot reach. The pump is generally mounted on a truck or trailer and towed and parked at a convenient location at the construction site.
Some different types of concrete line pumps are:
- Small/mini concrete pump – Ideal for small construction sites with narrow space as it is small in size, volume, and is lightweight.
- Portable concrete pumps – Also known as mobile concrete pumps are mounted on chassis with wheels making them easy to be moved to various construction sites.
- Concrete pump trailers – Concrete pumps mounted on a single or multi-axle trailer. They are compact and use high pressure to pump concrete. Convenient for small residential pours and offers placement rates that range from 5 to 100 cubic yards per hour with the ability to reach hundreds of feet.
- Concrete pump trucks – They are diesel-powered truck that mounts a powerful pump and extendable hose pipes to pump wet concrete where truck mixers cannot reach.
- Concrete mixer with pump – It combines various features such as feeding, mixing, and pumping of concrete in a single machine. This combination of mixing and transporting concrete can reduce labor intensity and save costs.
2. CONCRETE BOOM PUMP
Where the line pump is unable to reach, the boom pump is used to convey concrete vertically. The boom pump uses a long automatic robotic arm that is flexible and controlled by the operator to extend and move to the desired location.
Boom pumps are generally mounted on trucks or a semi-trailer and remain in one place during the entire pouring process. Ready-mix trucks discharge the liquid concrete into the pump’s hopper where the hopper churns the concrete and keeps it liquid, allowing efficient working and smooth traffic flow.
Boom pumps are the perfect solution where concrete is required on higher ground such as the rooftops and high-rise buildings.
Concrete boom pumps are also classified into two types:
- According to the boom length:
- Short boom type (boom length of 13-28m)
- Long boom type (boom length of 31-47m)
- Super long boom type (boom length of 51-62m)
- SPECIALIZED USAGE CONCRETE PUMP:
This is a different type of concrete pump that is a premium option and are readily available. Specialized usage pumps can be designed to perform exceptional types of construction projects and are used in construction projects in mines and tunnels.
Due to their specialized mechanism and the very high cost, this type of pump is not commonly used. They can also be mounted on skids and rails.
Price of Concrete Pumps
Primarily based on the concrete pump TYPES, MODELS, and CONFIGURATIONS, the cost of a concrete pump ranges from $15,000 to $48,000. The table below gives a direct look at the configuration of the diesel and electric concrete pump.
HBTS SERIES of LUTON Diesel Concrete Pump Configuration Table
|Main oil pump||Kawasaki||Kawasaki||Kawasaki||Kawasaki||Kawasaki|
|Main pumpCapacity||112 ml/r||112 ml/r||112 ml/r||112×2 ml/r||112×2 ml/r|
|Theoretical capacity (m3/h)||40/30(H/L)||40/30(High/Low)||60/36(High/Low)||85/50(High/Low)||85/50(High/Low)|
|Diesel engine||Yuxing66KW||Weichai 82KW||Weichai 82KW||Weichai 129KW||Weichai 129KW|
|Control system components||Schneider||Schneider||Schneider||Schneider||Schneider|
|Price range||$20,000~ $22,000||$22,000~ $23,000||$23,000~ $25,000||$34,000~ $36,000||$36,000~ $38,000|
HBTS and BS SERIES of LUTON Electric Concrete Pump Configuration Table
|Main oil pump||Kawasaki||Kawasaki||Kawasaki||Kawasaki||Jinda Rexroth|
|Main pumpCapacity||112×2 ml/r||112×2 ml/r||140×2 ml/r||112 ml/r||71 ml/r|
|Theoretical capacity (m3/h)||60||80||80||40||30|
|Control system components||Schneider||Schneider||Schneider||Schneider||Schneider|
|Price range||$25,000~ $27,000||$26,000~ $28,000||$29,000~ $32,000||$16,000~ $18,000||$15,000~ $20,000|
For more information related to the various types of concrete pumps including price details, you are welcome to contact LUTON GROUP.
Our staffs are well trained and efficient and will provide professional solutions and relevant information for all your queries. Please contact us for more details about the concrete pump cost.
Benefits of Concrete Pumps
Compared to the traditional method of distributing concrete using buckets and cranes to lift concrete, it is quite obvious concrete pumps offer far more benefits.
- Volume of concrete placed per hour: While the lifting capacity of the crane is about 12m³ per hour, a static pump can pump to high-rise buildings at a must faster rate of over 50m³ per hour.
- Faster pouring speed: Concrete pumps are a faster and simpler way of pouring concrete. The hose or pipeline attached to the outlet of the pumping equipment is easily accessible to all areas of the job site.
- Reduced labor: Labor scarcity in the construction industry makes it challenging to find skilled labor for the job. This can be bridged by using a concrete pump where the whole concreting process can be carried out by a few operators and with minimum labor.
- Higher accuracy of concrete pouring: Achieve higher accuracy and quality of concrete pouring irrespective of the pump you choose. It also reduces wastage of materials and can pour concrete either in high-rise buildings or even for foundation slabs without leaving spills and lumps.
- Improved concrete strength: Since concrete pumps require a lesser amount of water, they prevent the shrinking and cracking of concrete after being set up. Therefore, strong quality concrete structures require minimal repair and maintenance.
- Fast setup time: The service of a mobile pump can be easily availed, as they can come to your job site at your specified time, extend the boom and pour the concrete and finish the job with minimal hassles. This eliminates the process of mixing concrete in your premise, whereby your premise does not get dirty.
- Most convenient way of Pouring Concrete: Unlike the traditional methods used such as bucket and crane, the challenges faced during concrete placement are easily eliminated as the pumps can access areas where it is difficult for barrows to reach.
- Maintain project timelines: Construction projects can be complex and could easily go off schedule, incurring not just delays but increased expenses. As time is valuable, working with concrete pumps makes the job faster and helps ensure the project is realized without falling behind schedule and going off-budget.
Are you looking for a supplier to buy concrete pump equipment in China, LTG?
LUTON Group is one of the most popular manufacturers and suppliers of concrete pumps in China and its products are well known all over the world.
Luton has stressed the importance of after-sales services of our equipment for our customers apart from offering high-quality concrete pumping equipment.
Reasons to Consider the Luton Group Equipment:
- The Luton adapts the factory-direct sales model for all their products; therefore, eliminating middlemen and thereby reducing the cost to our customers.
- Luton owns an independent research and development team, so the price of the concrete pump equipment will be relatively more affordable compared to other competitors.
- We provide guidance in choosing the appropriate models of pump models as well as suggest suitable equipment according to the needs and requirements of customers. This helps avoid waste of funds and resources.
- We deal with problems from the customer’s perspective and strive to ensure customer satisfaction.
After-Sales Service Provided by Luton Group
- We will provide training services for your on-site production personnel.
- We will assist and guide your team during the whole process of installation.
- We will ensure to supply spare parts for equipment maintenance.
- We will provide free maintenance service during the warranty period.
- We will provide regular callbacks or return visits.
In addition, Luton has an iron grip in the construction industry because of its advanced and accurate technology design and high quality of concrete pumps. Luton is fully approved by customers for its –
- High-quality materials
- Long component life
- Tailor-made service
- High productivity
- Comprehensive after-sales maintenance
- 20+ years of industrial experience with pioneering design
- 18000+ plants manufactured and sold
For any queries regarding concrete pumps, you can contact us directly and we will assist you by clarifying your questions and helping you choose the right product for your company’s specific needs.
- What is a Concrete Pump and Why is it Important?
- How to Choose the Right Concrete Pump for Your Project?
- Types of Concrete Pumps
- Price of Concrete Pumps
- Benefits of Concrete Pumps
- Are you looking for a supplier to buy concrete pump equipment in China, LTG?
- After-Sales Service Provided by Luton Group
- Contact Us